Will the Black Sox from tiny Bisbee beat Phoenix and Tucson? Or will the big city ballists prove that bigger is better
Bigger, better and much more competitive describes the action that will take place on the field as seven teams vie for the Arizona Territories Vintage Base Ball League championship at this year’s 5th Annual Copper City Classic Vintage Base Ball Tournament, scheduled for Saturday April 12 and Sunday April 13, 2014. Enjoy truly competitive old style base ball at Bisbee’s 104-year-old Warren Ballpark, the REAL Field of Dreams.
Join fellow cranks–the 1800’s term for fans–as the teams take the field wearing old-style uniforms. Watch as seven Arizona teams battle for the league crown in a double elimination tournament played by 1860 rules, just as the game was played when Abraham Lincoln was president. The Colorado All-Stars, last year’s fan’s favorite, are also returning to entertain the cranks with three exhibition games.
Gates open at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday and 9:00 a.m. Sunday with play continuing all day. Tournament tickets are still a bargain. The cost for two full days of fun is $10 for a single day and $15 for both days; children age 12 and under are still free with an adult ticket. Active military are free on Sunday, April 13th.
Stay at the ballpark Saturday evening for an added attraction: the Post-Game Blues concert at 6:00 p.m. featuring the return of James T. “Mudcat” Grant to Bisbee. Bisbee loved Mudcat and Mudcat loved Bisbee when he appeared at Warren Ballpark last year. Mudcat, a renowned blues musician as well as a top major league pitcher, will join Cat Daddy and His 12 Barz Blues Band. The Cholla High School Blues Standard, the opening act at the 2013 Tucson Blues Festival, will open the concert.
Along with plenty of baseball, the popular Friends of Warren Ballpark T-shirt will be available for sale as well as the Warren Ballpark book on the fascinating history of the historic ballpark. Enjoy your favorite baseball food, hot dogs, bratwurst, barbeque and nachos. Brew lovers can savor the locally made Dave’s Electric Beer.
All proceeds from the tournament benefit restoration projects at Warren Ballpark
The Friends are over half-way to their goal of $102,000 to construct new, ADA compliant public restrooms. For detailed information, visit www.friendsofwarrenballpark.com or call 520.432.3813. For more information on vintage base ball, visit www.arizonavintagebaseball.com.
2014 Copper City Classic Vintage Base Ball Tournament Game Schedule
Arizona Territories Vintage Base Ball League Championship
The Tourney is broken into 2 brackets: Winners Bracket (WB) and Losers Bracket (LB).Each time slot will tell who plays who based on seeding or win/ lost record. Additionally, the Colorado All-Star team will play two games on Saturday and one on Sunday.
- 10:00 a. m. WB Game 1: Seed 2 vs. Seed 6
- 11:30 a.m. WB Game 2: Seed 3 vs. Seed 7
- 1:00 p.m. WB Game 4: Winner Game 2 vs. Seed 1
- 2:30 p.m. Colorado vs. LB Game 1 Loser
- 4:00 p.m. WB Game 5: Winner WB Game 1 vs. Winner WB Game 3
Junior Varsity Field:
- 10:00 a.m. WB Game 3: Seed 5 vs. Seed 4
- 11:30 a.m. LB Game 1: Loser WB Game 1 vs. Loser WB Game 3
- 1:00 p.m. LB Game 2: Winner LB Game 1 vs. Loser WB Game 2
- 2:30 p.m. LB Game 3: Loser WB Game 4 vs. Winner LB Game 2
- 4:00 p.m. Colorado vs. Loser LB Game 2
Post-Game Blues: 6:00 p.m. at Warren Ballpark
- 9:00 a.m. WB Game 6: Winner WB Game 5 vs. Winner WB Game 4
- 10:30 a.m. Colorado Vs Loser LB Game 3
- Noon: LB Game 5: Winner LB Game 4 vs. Loser WB Game 6
- 1:30 p.m. Championship – Winner WB Game 6 vs. Winner LB Game 5
Junior Varsity Field:
- 9:00 a.m. LB Game 4: Winner LB Game 3 vs. Loser WB Game